mysteries and motorcycles

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Invitation

I've been quiet for a couple of weeks partly because the lakefront resort community that I call home has been holding their ten-day long summer festival. The affair is called "Cheeseburger." Not exactly an exotic sounding name but it changes the town of Caseville, Michigan into a Caribbean Island for a few days each summer. Everything takes on a tropical flavor and there are Raggae, Calypso, and Steel Drum bands playing in several different parks at all times of the day and night. Seems like every "Parrothead" in the country makes the pilgrimage. It's a really busy and fun time highlighted by the "Parade of Tropical Fools."
But back to writing for a moment. I've been invited to give the keynote address at a mid-Michigan Writer's Conference. It ain't Bouchercon but that doesn't diminish the passion or sincerity of the attendees.
I've given lots and lots of presentations trying to peddle my work but keynote speeches are different. They're supposed to be supportive, educational, or just plain entertaining. I've never even thought about being a keynote speaker.
As I look back at the dinner speeches that I've attended, it occurs to me that the most memorable ones were the light and humorous talks. Now I just have to think of some clever things to say.
"But it's a real cutie; a Mexican beauty. How it got here I haven't a clue."

Posted by The Unreal McCoy :: 9:58 AM :: 0 Comments:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------